Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Website Graphics Formats Explained

GIF - Graphics Image Format or Graphics Interchange Format. Bitmap graphic format. Used if you want to reduce the image file size by reducing colors. I also use if I need an exact color to match with something else instead of using a JPG.

PNG - Portable Network Graphics. Fireworks native format. Another Bitmap graphic format. I am using PNG almost always not for website graphics and web graphics in general.

ANIMATED GIF - A GIF file that can be used for a very limited animation.

JPG or JPEG - Joint Photographic Experts Group, Image that is compressed. I use only for photos. I used to use for text graphics and general website graphics or web graphics but changed to PNG for a more controlled image (especially with dreamweaver).

BMP: Bitmap Uncompressed - Too big to use for website graphics. Loads too slow. Old school. MS Paint native format.

No comments:

Post a Comment