Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Website Layout - Using Tables to Control How a Visitor Views Your Site

Some website graphics designers want to splash graphics and text the entire screen width. I just hate it. White space defines more of a website then actual graphics headers and streams of text.

Only 1% of my website visitors has a screen resolution set below 1024 pixels wide. (by the way, Google Analytics is free tool you can use to track tons of data about your visitors).

This is why I always use a main table with no borders to control how people can view my web pages. In other words, I never use a percentage of the window because this is an unknown.

I usually set it to around 800 to 1000 pixels wide. People do not want to read a long sentence without a wrap around. I mean, just look at this blog. Can you imagine a sentence that is 25 words wide! It's just uninviting.

This way I know exactly how everyone is going to view my web page and the graphics on it.

See one of my sites as an example. It has a main table set to 750px.

Control those views :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment